" Simplicity is making the journey of this life with just baggage enough." - Anonymous
We Indians are supposed to the one of the simplest people on earth. Every day I run onto articles or discussions or declarations that the Indian way of life is the simplest. Compared to our materialistic western counterparts, we are supposed to believe in simplicity. people listening/reading it will be made to think that Indians are products of "Philips" whose ad-line goes "Sense and Simplicity". But the truth cannot be farther away from this.
We Indians are one of the most complex beings. We are born with complexities and biases bundled into our installation software. We have a very complicated way of looking into the world. We look into the world with a kaleidoscope, making jigsaws out of a simple picture.
On the usual weekend, I having coffee with my friends at this coffee place (the coffees are overpriced, the politeness of the waiter unnatural and the smell of perfume in the air a bit stifling). I was talking about a friend who wanted a career shift to an alternate profession that was not exactly "main tracked", "away from the beaten path" or whatever you want to call it. The usual jazz about the generation gap and the "playing it safe" attitude , the inability to think 'outside the box" way of parents came up. My friend was 25 years and into a career already which was not fun enough. I also happened to mention how creative she was with her photography. It took exactly 3 seconds after I said "she" that somebody chimed in "What about her marriage?". 3 seconds, Bullets leave guns slower!! And this from someone who is supposedly modern, thinks out of the box and supposed to be avoiding the beaten path. The bias couldn't be much more clearer.
A similar thing happened at work. there is this chap at office. He is a really cool guy, very friendly, helpful and simple. Yet, many of the people here are little jittery of socializing with him. the reason, he has long hair and a slant teeth. That was the exact reason someone told me. Its really weird, when people say such things. Imagine what this guys classification of people would be. Homo Sapiens would be of 2 types - Long haired mammals : "Dangerouso keepth-away-iens " Short haired mammals: "harmless be-friends-iens"! Even my mom is scared of long-haired people. She threatened to kick me out of the house and disown me when I told her that I am going to tie up my hair in a pony-tail.
Another common bias that I have seen is the "cigarette-villain" effect. I have found that people are less friendly and less helpful when a stranger approaches them with a cigarette in hand. The bias is also shown in Indian movies where the villain (who is the embodiment of all evil in the world) has a perpetual cigarette in his mouth. Another similar effect would be "lowjeans-top-vamp" effect. People above certain age, generally, are less friendly to women in tight jeans and skimpy tops than to women draped in sarees. Although this defect is corrected with men of lower age groups.
An opposite phenomenon is also true. I have seen "dudes" who are wary of people who wear kumkum or vibhuti. They are by default assumed to be uncool, not broad minded enough . Just by wearing symbols of allegience to their beliefs, they are alienated. If I go on, the list would be pretty much endless.
The Indian middle class is indeed a very chameleonistic and a complicated social animal. I have seen and known some women, who have wear minis and sip beer with their husbands, smoke secretly with their friends but not in front of their husbands and who are draped in sarees at all times thy are with their in-laws.
We are born indeed with a large set of biases and complicated assumptions that work sometimes in a way that we assume them to be the obvious truth. Most of this utterly nonsensical and farcial. We should stop looking at the world through our biased glasses. We should break free from these stereotyping and compartmentalization of characters and try to see the real person behind the image. I would like to end this blog with this quote by Charles Mingus.
" Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's greatness! "
Respect.
Monday, April 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
About Me
- Srinath Ramachandra
- When Harry met Sally love happened, When Adam met Eve mankind happened, When Adam met Steve blasphemy happened, When Larry met Sergey Google happened, When mom met dad disaster happened!
6 comments:
Very well written Srinath...Whatever you have said is absolutely true...
ಹ ಹ್ಹ ಹ್ಹ ಹ್ಹಾ.. ಸಿಗರೇಟು ಕೈಲಿ ಹಿಡಿಯುವವನು ಮೇಧಾವಿಯಾಗಿರುತ್ತಾನೆ, ಅಥವಾ ಪರೋಡಿಯಾಗಿರುತ್ತಾನೆಂಬುದು ಒಂದು ನಂಬಿಕೆ.
ಉದ್ದ ಕೂದಲು ಬಿಟ್ಟಿರುವವನನ್ನು ನೋಡಿದರೇನೇ ಅಸಹ್ಯ ಪಡುತ್ತಾರೆ ಹಿರಿಯರು. ಕಾರಣ ಇಷ್ಟೇ - ಅವನಿಗೆ ಉದ್ದ ಕೂದಲು!!
ನಾವು ಮಧ್ಯಮವರ್ಗದವರೇ ಹೀಗೆ.. ಅಂಜಿಕೆಯ ಪ್ರವಾಹಕ್ಕೆ ಸಿಕ್ಕ ಹುಲ್ಲಿನಂತೆ! ಒಳಗೊಳಗೇ ನಮ್ಮಾಸೆಗಳನ್ನು ತೀರಿಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲೆತ್ನಿಸುತ್ತಿರುತ್ತೇವೆ. ಅದು ನಮ್ಮಯ ಹಣೆಬರಹ. ಮನಸ್ಸು ಹೇಳಿದ ಹಾಗೆ ಬದುಕಲಸಾಧ್ಯ! ಬಗೆ ಬಗೆಯ ಮುಖವಾಡಗಳು ಮಧ್ಯಮವರ್ಗದ ಜನರಿಗೆ ಇರುವ ಬಹುದೊಡ್ಡ ಆಸ್ತಿ.
ಮಾನಕ್ಕೆ ಅಂಜುವ ಮಾನವರು!!
Dude, dot on. The worst part is, we are pretty messed up people but, we seem to have this attitude that Indians are the greatest and the west is which is all messed up!
I mean come on, I have pride in my country and I believe our people have many things which are right about them which the west really lacks but to claim that we're "not" messed up as a culture? That's not ignorance, that's forced blindness!
hehehe... nice! me thinks it evens out... for everyone who thought i was uncool for having hair oiled and parted like that when i was young, im sure i had many fans for the same... only the former were chics and the latter were tam brahms like my grandfather's friends.
Srinath! So very true man! Stereotypes, prejudices and preconceived notions about people, places, objects and even ideas!
Cant agree more!!!
Interesting to know.
Post a Comment